Thursday, November 27, 2008

Remember Your Blessings

As I sit here on this Thanksgiving morning in the warmth of my home, in front of my 46 inch Bravia HD watching the Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade (one of the highlights of my year), I thought about the 2 big turkeys that I am about to get ready to cook, about the refrigerator full of prepared food waiting on my family, and my mind went to my "children" at school. I work at a school where 98% of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch. Yes, some may not be truthful on their applications, but most are. I work with children who are often hungry- and they will tell you that. They get breakfast and lunch at school- but that means that some of them go long hours without a good meal. I shudder when I think about the weekends for many of these precious children. I do what I can- and I have a principal that has a knack for spotting hunger and trying to deal with it, but it is sad. We are soooooo blessed. We have such a bounty that I have had to work hard to get some of the bounty off my booty this year! Have you ever really been hungry? Hungry when you did not know that eventually you would get a meal, or pull into a drive-through for a burger and fries? About the only time I have ever been truly hungry may have been times following surgery or tests when food was not an option- not because I could not get it. I never remember being hungry as a child, although we had some very lean times when Daddy would be on strike or when the mines closed. Somehow my precious Mother kept us fed- she was a good manager! So, today when we pass around the counter, think of those who may not have this blessing and thank God. My Mother's favorite saying was- "Save by the Grace of God, go there I"- food for thought!

1 comment:

David Courington said...

Getting Your Bounty Off Your Booty- now that is the title of a book if I ever saw one.