Sunday, January 20, 2008

Prayers Needed

As an update to the post below- I got up and listened to the program this morning. Bubba and Speedy conducted the program. Bubba explained what happened-
Sherri was home with the boys (she had not gone to Tennessee with Rick). She put the boys in front of the TV to watch a movie, checked the doors, and went to take a shower. When she got out she realized that Bronner was missing and found an open door. She immediately went to the pool and apparently found him and got him out. She called the next door neighbor who is a doctor. The neighbor began to try CPR and worked on him until the emergency personnel arrived. They tried everything, but he apparently was already dead when Sherri got him out of the pool. They did not say if the pool was covered. This will be a hard thing for this family to deal with. The funeral is tomorrow and Rick is scheduled to speak. While I would never consider going, they have encouraged the listeners to attend.

I am feeling kind of sad today. When I got to church Josh asked me if I had heard that Rick Burgess’s youngest son had died. I was speechless. For those that do not know, Rick is part of the morning radio duo, Rick and Bubba. I have been a devoted listener for many years, even before they were so popular. Their local radio program is now syndicated nationwide, and they are heard in many states. Rick has 5 children, a daughter and 4 sons. The youngest, Cornbread, as Rick referred to him, was Bronner, age 2. Apparently Bronner drowned in the family swimming pool last night a little after 7. To my understanding, Rick and Sherri were in Gatlinburg (Rick was speaking at a religious conference for young people, I believe) and I was told that one of the grandmothers had the younger children at their own home. I feel so for this family, for Rick and Sherri, and for that grandmother. I can’t imagine the guilt that you would feel, even though this was a tragic accident. Young children can vanish in the flash of an eye, or the amount of time an adult could take a trip to the bathroom. While I don’t know these people, I very much feel that I do. What a tragedy. My heart aches for their loss. Remember them in your prayers- they will need them. Josh said he heard Rick talk to a caller this week that had lost a child and Rick stated that he knew that must be the hardest thing in the world to go through and he prayed he would never know that pain. There are no guarantees in this life. None of us come with a warranty, not even the young. Tragedies such as this should make us all want to give our children and grandchildren an extra hug.
Also, please remember Betty Garrison and David's mother, Betty, in your prayers. Betty Garrison has had a bad week and is still at Princeton. Betty Courington was not doing well today when we were there to visit. Her emotional state seems very unstable.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You've been tagged...read my blog!

Emily said...

I'm sad for their family, too! The show was very hard to listen to today. My prayers are with both Mrs. Betty's and their families!