Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mental Illness- What a Nightmare!

Well, I think I am better. Not well- but better. I am still just so tired. It seems like every little thing wears me out. I am going to try to work tomorrow as I plan to be off for the FHU Lectureship the following week. I hate being sick. I am so tired of TV, and our Internet is so slow that it is only frustrating.
The weekend has been rough. We knew MaMa was on a “high”, but boy is she. David, Billy, and Mary are with her in the ER at Brookwood, trying to get her admitted. From what Mary called and told me, I can imagine the ER will be glad to see her go to a room. She is loud, and wild, among other things. How sad mental illness can be. This is a good, Godly woman, who would for the world not want to be like she is at this moment. She is quiet and unassuming- just the opposite of the mental illness that overtakes her at times. She has never wanted to draw attention to herself, and now she is doing just that. One of the blessings of her disease is that when she does improve, she does not remember the things that she had done. The nursing home called last night and then again this morning- they were at a loss as to what to do. They are limited in being able to restrain someone, but that is what she really needed. David has been in a nightmare trying to get her a bed somewhere where they do the treatments that she needs. Apparently there is no short supply of people needing beds on psychiatric units. Then, Mary said if they got her a bed it would probably be where someone would have to stay with her. We might be able to arrange that for a day or two, but sadly we all have to work. I have just been too sick to sit with anyone. Hopefully we can get her back with her doctor at UAB and get something done (the unit at UAB is closed because of a virus, the unit at Princeton is full, and now the unit at Brookwood is full.) My poor husband has a lot on him at the moment. He is dealing with the legalities of having both parents in the nursing home, trying to get the paperwork needed to sell the family home, and dealing with Medicaid on a daily basis. I know a little of what he is going through, but not to the extent. We should have handled some of this years ago, but no one thinks that things like this will happen. Pray for us and especially pray for MaMa.

No comments: