Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blog Challenge

As I looked at my Blog Roll, I decided to issue a challenge. Some of you have not updated in weeks or months. I know that I have not done the best myself, and part of that is because I have spent part of my computer time on Facebook. Come on guys- at least post a picture, or something!
I am enjoying summer. I have had a few days to simply stay at home, and I have found plenty to do. I wish I could say that my house was clean and all of my chores accomplished, but I have at least made some headway on the laundry. I am teaching some this summer, but my classes are much smaller than they have been for the past summers so I am not having to spend a lot of time grading papers. While the check will be much smaller, I am getting a break.
It appears that I am not going to be making a school move come August. For those who may not know, my principal had been offered a new position but she told the board that she would not go without taking some of her "people"- and that included me. We all struggled with the decision and we were content with the current situation, but scared of who might take the reigns if she transferred. Apparently she had a larger list of demands than the board wanted to meet because they hired someone else. They had reposted the job twice in an effort to get her to apply, which she finally did. After the interview she basically told them that they probably did not want her to take the position because she was going to demand accountability from the faculty and staff at the school (this is a large high school, lots of problems) and if they wanted her to "straighten" the situation out, they were going to have to support her and allow her to take the people with her that she would need. She must have been correct because they gave the job to an outsider. I am actually relieved. I know that she needed the high school position if she was ever going to have the opportunity to advance to a superintendent's position. The difference in pay at a high school for a principal is marginal, and the responsibilities are doubled, but it is a necessity if you want to move up within our insane system. The thought of packing up almost 20 years of personal belongings had about made me cringe. I had decided to go if she got the position, but fortunately the decision was made for us so I am glad to stay where my heart and my stuff is already neatly organized!
We are planning a small trip tomorrow. We are going to the Diana Singing tomorrow night and plan to spend the night in Athens. We are going to do a little shopping on Saturday, so that will be fun. The Penney's Outlet in Decatur and some great bent and dent stops- how could life be better.
Have a great day, and remember my challenge- UPDATE YOUR BLOG!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I have updated frequently, but it's been made private and I didn't know your email address to be able to add you. Please send it to me if you want to read our blog.
crystalharr@att.net

Anonymous said...

I will update!!!!