Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

Today is one of my favorite days of the year- Christmas Eve. As a child, we celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. Santa started coming on Christmas Eve when my sister was small. Mother said that Patsy got sick from the excitement, so instead of making her wait until Christmas day, Santa decided to come early. We have always celebrated our family gathering on Christmas Eve, so it is a special time. Memories flood my soul on Christmas Eve. I miss my mother perhaps the most on this day- a feeling that has not diminished in over 10 years. I guess it is because this day is about much more than gifts- it is about family. This is the one night of the year when my family will, for the most part, be together. We will eat, exchange gifts, laugh, watch the newest generation entertain us, and reminisce about those gone on and days past. Memories are powerful, and I am thankful for them. I know that if there are holes in the floor of Heaven, then Mother will certainly be looking down on her family on this special night.
To all my friends and family- Merry Christmas and my prayers for a wonderful new year!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait!!

lmbolus said...

I love that as our familiy has grown, the enthusiam for our Christmas Eve celebration continues. MaMa would be proud...we haven't stopped being a family.

Emily said...

First, love the new look! Second, Merry Christmas to my other "family!" I have something in common with Patsy, I, too, would get sick with excitement on Christmas Eve!

Paul said...

I love Christmas Eve with the Melton side of the family!

Crystal said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours too.