Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ma Pounds and Stuff

This morning David called to tell me that “Ma Pounds” had passed away. She had been battling cancer for a while and while I am not certain of her exact age, she was hitting or over the nine decade (90) mark. For those who knew and loved Ma Pounds, she will be missed. Her presence at our camp week always added something special. She was there long after she should have been because of the terrain and her mobility issues. I gave her the walker that my mother had (it was more than a walker, and had cost Mother several hundred dollars) and she told me time and again how she would not have made it without it. I bet she had put 10,000 miles on those wheels. My mother would have been so proud that someone was able to use it for their good. While we do not yet know the arrangements, I am certain there will be many hundreds of people wishing to pay their regards to Mr. Black (yes, Ma Pounds remarried several years ago when she was well into her 80’s), and to her many children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and possibly great-great grandchildren. She was a true soldier of the cross, and she loved the church and the Word. Her life was not easy. Her father passed away when she was a little girl, and she told me often that she had to work like a man from childhood. She loved children, and all of my children were privileged to sit in her Bible classes at camp.
In other news, for those who have read Kim’s blog, you know that David, Kim, Billy, Mary, Addi, and myself spent Labor Day laboring. We cleaned out the house at Parrish. I cannot believe how much we accomplished. Mary was having a pretty good day and she was able to help big-time. Even Addi worked bringing us garbage bags and getting stuff out from under beds. Stuff-stuff-stuff. Every bank statement, every cancelled check, pay stubs, for not only MaMa and PaPa, but for their parents. To me the funniest thing is keeping all the old watch boxes and broken watches. I am going to try to keep less, but you know how that goes. We still have work to do, and some furniture to sell, but we made good progress. We used over 45, 33 gallon garbage bags, and dozens of boxes. We tried to laugh and just get it done, and it was not too sad. Their goodness was evidenced by Bibles and religious materials everywhere. What great people. We never know where we will spend our sunset years, and we never know if we will have sunset years, do we? Houses are just houses, cars are just cars, furniture is just furniture, but living a Godly life is priceless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated to hear that about Ma Pounds. She will surely be missed. Thanks for that beautiful post!

Charles said...

I remember spending some time in that house in Parrish. Most importantly, I remember the PEOPLE in that house in Parrish. I remember the love for family and friends. But, most of all, I remember the love for God. God bless you all.

David Courington said...

well put!