Saturday, February 09, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mandi and other thoughts

Today is Mandi’s birthday. Happy Birthday, Mandi! Mandi is such a special member of our family and we truly owe her a debt of gratitude for marrying Daniel! (Just kidding!!!!) Seriously, Mandi has made herself a member of this tribe and we truly love her. She is sweet, funny, caring, beautiful, and smart. I hope your birthday is a great one.
Jasmine celebrated her 18th birthday on Thursday. We enjoyed eating with her at Olive Garden. She is a beautiful, sweet, young woman. How time flies.
I lost 2.4 pounds this week. Not bad for an emotional week. Bobby’s passing has been hard on us. His funeral was truly appropriate and I think David just did an outstanding job delivering the funeral message. Daryl led the singing, and he did so well. It was almost like I saw him let the emotion come as he sang the last word. Bobby and Charlene had talked a few weeks ago about dying, etc. and Bobby had told her that he wanted Daryl to led the singing and David to speak. I know that was an honor to both of them as they both loved Bob deeply. He will be missed. Daniel made the statement that Bobby was the first member of the couples that we have been close to through time to pass. Bobby was just 60 and at this point in my life that seems so young to die. Please remember Charlene and the girls, as they truly adored and loved Bob and his passing will certainly leave a huge void in their day to day lives.
On other notes, MaMa was transferred to UAB yesterday afternoon. We are hopeful that at least we will be able to have some communication with a doctor now. I would not recommend the psychiatric part of Brookwood Hospital in my top 100 list. It has NOT been a good experience. How can a doctor continual tell you he is too busy to call, etc. The nurse said he did not usually talk to family until discharge. We find it hard to believe that he could possible have another patient in the condition that MaMa is in, which seems would warrant talking to the family. We were also not all that pleased with the nursing care. Please remember MaMa in your prayers. She is going days without sleeping, she is so tormented, yelling, thrashing, pulling her hair, and just pitiful. She has thrashed about until her arms are solid black (I guess other parts may be as well but her arms show), and we just don’t know how someone can physically continue to go without sleep without their heart giving out. It is a sad condition for someone so special.
David is continuing to deal with Medicaid, trying to get his powers in order to sell the house, etc. He has had a lot on him in dealing with the business end of the nursing home. It seems that it is something every day. I truly don’t know how unorganized people handle this process. My dining room table, bar, desk, all look like they are covered with Medicaid and nursing home business. Please pray for David- handling business of this nature is not on his top 5 list and the end is not yet in sight. I guess we would all be just as well off to be paupers.
Love to all!

1 comment:

Alissa and Brody Silly Nanna said...

I know how you all feel it is so hard to deal with you parents when they get old. My Mom will let no one know what is going on with anything. So I can not do alot to help out in any kind of legal things. My Mom has a lot on her everyday dealing with Dad herself and Dwight giving Meds and just everyday living. I just wish she would let me know somethings so I would know what to do. I think we who take care of out parents we need to meet ever so often and talk about everything and anyting on our minds.