Sunday, December 09, 2007

Update

I want to give a brief update to my limited readership, concerning our sick folks. As of last night, PaPa was much improved. The bleeding must have been coming from his esophagus, but there was no major problem when they scoped it. They put him on some medication that will coat the esophagus. He has also had blood and potassium. So, for the moment at least, things are better in his corner. Two days ago we never believed he would make it back to the nursing home, but it appears he will. He even spoke in some sentences last night, something he hasn’t done in a long time.
As for MaMa, while she is up walking (imagine that), she seems to be having a bout with depression. I suspected that the whole time, but as I blogged earlier, we could not get the medical doctor and the psychiatrist in the same picture, so in light of all of her physical problems of the past few weeks, the psychiatrist suggested we go the medical route. Now listen to this- one morning prior to her going to the hospital, she told David that there was a baby in the bed with her. When David told the psychiatrist, he said that sounded like a “physical” problem that would cause her to be delusional. I wondered about that….but I am not a medical person, but it sounded like a mind problem to me. Now, all of a sudden, she is walking again, but she is very confused. I don’t doubt she has leg issues, but I kept saying the way she was shuffling looked like a classic case of someone that was depressed. David is trying to arrange her a treatment, which is not as easy as it sounds. Her doctor has changed from Princeton to UAB in the past week, and UAB has required a whole list of test for people taking these treatments. We think she has had everything done during her hospital stay, but they have not sent them to UAB as requested. I hope that by Monday the paperwork will be in place and he can get her there for a treatment. I am certain that these tests are simply to cover liability because shock treatments are still very controversial and not done in many facilities. As horrid as it sounds, they are the only thing that has kept MaMa as functional as she has been.
So, please continue to pray for the Couringtons. God never created two better people, and to see them have to go through so much is hard.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I pray for the health of the Couringtons. I miss seeing her at church!