Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Happy 100th Birthday, Daddy


If my father were still alive, he would be 100 years old today. I lost my Daddy when I was 18. He has been gone since 1973- almost 34 years ago. Loosing a parent is never easy, but I really felt cheated that I lost my Daddy when I was so young. I wish my husband, my children, my grandchildren, nieces, and nephews, could have known Pat Melton. He was a unique individual. He was quiet, and very smart. He could fix anything. He loved us- a lot. He was a good provider, and he cared for our Mother. While not a man of many words, when Daddy said something, it was usually something worth hearing. Daddy was a hard worker- spending many years as a coal miner. Daddy was very sick from the time I was 14. He had a lung removed the year I was in eighth grade, followed by radiation, and other procedures. For a short time, we thought he might overcome the cancer, and then it came back in his throat. I don’t guess any sickness is a good one, but this was a particularly ugly way to die. I graduated from high school at the end of May in 1973. Daddy was in his last days at that time. He would ask me every week how many more days until graduation- I did not realize that he was using that as a goal to live to- I know now that he felt that seeing me finish high school would mean that he was not leaving a child behind. I understand that mentality now that I have had my own children. There comes a point when you feel that they are no longer your dependents and your role changes. Daddy died on June 29th at the age of 66. Today, 66 seems almost “middle-aged”, and too young to die. But, then again, we don’t choose our time, our place, or our method, do we? I feel sorry for people that do not have good parents- I had 2, and I am thankful they loved, provided and cared for me and Patsy and Charles. Thank you Pat Melton, for loving me.

No comments: