Thursday, April 12, 2007

Being Sequestered

I have had 2 MRI's and during both I thought I was surely going to die. The feeling of confinement was just too great. As I read about the jury for the Winkler trial, I thought- I don't believe I could stand this! I would feel like I was the one in jail, while the criminal is out walking the street. Can you imagine how the nights and weekends will be for these people. Unless you like to sleep- a lot- then some of these people might just flip a gasket. No TV, no telephone, no newspaper, no contact with the outside world. I know these things are necessary, to some degree, but come on- could they not play a video game???? I guess I would catch up on my reading- surely they can do that. Listed below are the rules for the jury. Also, if you will link to my prior post, you can see the jury break-down. This is all too sad.

9PM The jurors, chosen from McNairy County, were sequestered. Their lodging, food and transportation is provided. The Judge ordered them not to watch tv, read the newspaper or get on-line. He told them not to discuss the case and expect to work long days so they can get through the case as quickly as possible. The were also given a Juror Information Sheet, here's what's on it.
Juror Information Sheet
Prepare to stay no less than two weeks.
Provided in each room will be: Iron, coffee pot & hair dryer
All meals will be provided to you
If you have special dietary needs, please let us know.
WHAT TO BRING:
Clothes (enough for two weeks)
Toiletries
Snacks (Snacks will be provided, bring only something specific wanted)
Cigarettes
Money
Games, CardsMedication (enough for two weeks)
YOUR LUGGAGE AND BAGS WILL BE SEARCHED
WHAT *NOT* TO BRING:
CELL PHONESRadio
TV
Videos
Video Games
Computers
Alcohol
Beepers>Jewelry (anything of personal or monetary value should be brought at your own risk.)
Reading material that in any way pertains to the subject matter of this trial. Court officers will review all reading material.
Reminder: You may be away from home for at least two weeks. Arrange for mail pickup and pay any bills during this period.
(end juror information sheet)

No comments: