Friday, March 30, 2007

Cheating at the Nursing Home!


As a teacher, we are trained to look for signs of cheating. I will admit that cheating is no longer what it used to be. With the new technology, students have so many ways of cheating. I read an article the other day from a high school teacher. He now has to have a different test for each of his sections of classes (I think he was a math teacher) because the kids are making pictures of the test on their cell phones and sending it to their friends in other sections. Technology has certainly changed cheating. But, that is not what my Blog is about today- I am going to tell you a story about cheating in the nursing home, of all places.
The other day I took MaMa to visit PaPa at the nursing home. He was SOUND asleep, and I could not even get him to wake up. I left MaMa sitting on the sofa in the T.V. room with PaPa and I walked across and sat in the dining area. The physical therapist came in (I believe that was her position) to visit one of the other residents. This gentleman is almost stooped over double, and he shuffles in baby steps when he walks. Anyway, the therapist gave the man a piece of wood that had nuts and bolts in holes. She told him that she wanted to see how many of the bolts he could remove from the piece of wood. She then left him, telling him that she would be back in a few minutes. The little old man waited until she had cleared the doorway, got up, shuffled across the floor to an elderly lady in a wheelchair, handed her the board, waited until she had removed the bolts, and then took it and shuffled back to his chair, smiling all the way. Do you think I was going to tell on him???? No way- I actually thought that he was pretty smart for an Alzheimer’s patient! Nursing home humor, you got to have it to survive.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

That is hilarious! I agree, that was clever of him.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Maybe he should get points for being cleven after all. I know it is still cheating but he obviously still has his senses about him!

Rachel said...

I meant clever. That is the second time I have typed a word wrong.

Emily said...

This is too funny!