Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!


We had the great fun of sitting in the cold to watch Addi play her first ballgame of the season. Hard to believe, but at 6 she is an old pro. This is her third year to play. She has moved, for the most part, to the pitcher’s circle- the coveted place in Sweetie’s play (see photo-thanks, Paul!). She came to bat 3 times last night, with 3 hits. I am not certain of all of the logistics on that, but I think they were doubles. At this level they play coach pitch- and her coach is still learning how to pitch- so to go 3 for 3 is pretty good. She has sped up to the point that if a 4 year old had not been in front of her, she might have had a triple or two. Truth be told- she looked so determined to make a homerun that she just was not going to stop until they told her too!
It is just great fun to be at the ballpark. I never dreaded going to the park with my own kids- that was always just a great time as a family. I hear some people complain about having to go the ballpark and I think about how much I miss it. When all our kids played we would have a minimum of 6 practices a week and anywhere from 6 to 9 games once the season began. I can remember standing between the girl’s field and the boy’s field to watch when Kim and Josh or Daniel would be pitching. As far as I know, I never missed more than just a few games of park ball- and that was if I was out of town. We used to joke about putting up a mailbox at the ballpark. David coached several years, and that would add to the complexity of ballpark life. I was also the team mom several years, often because no one else would do it- how sad. I hope my kids remember these fun times. I think they will.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope Addie keeps doing well and loves to play!