Wednesday, April 09, 2008

100th Post and Goodbye to a Dear Friend

I had thought I would make my 100th post after WW tomorrow night, in hopes of posting about the big "50" mark, but I could not let the passing of my dear firend, Betty Garrison go without a post. Betty passed away in the early morning hours. She had many health issues, especially heart-related problems. The past several months she has been in the nursing home, and at times seemed to be making some progress. Betty had more near-death episodes and comebacks than about anyone I have ever known.
When we moved to Maytown in 1978, Betty and Teamus Garrison endeared themselves to us. Betty and Teamus were so close that after Teamus died at a relatively young age, we wondered if Bet would be able to survive. Sadly her health became an issue almost about the time of Teamus's death, and she never really enjoyed very good health from soon after his passing. I well remember the second Christmas we were at Maytown. Kim was just over a year old, I was not working, and while we were certainly not going hungry, money was not in abundance. Betty gave me a set of Holly Hobbie Salt and Pepper Shakers. I thought- "How cute" and put them in the cabinet. A few weeks later I decided to get them out and use them. When I opened the package, out fell a $50.00 bill. Now remember, this was about 28 years ago and a $50.00 bill was a lot bigger than it is today. Needless to say, I immediately called Betty and apologized for not having thanked them earlier for this generous gift. I guess if I had not opened the shakers someone at a yard sale down the road might have got a $50.00 bill with the $2.00 salt and pepper shakers. I have many other physical memories- the rocking chair sent to the hospital when Kim was born, Kim's baby ring, the Bibles for the children, a crystal container, etc. but the best memories are of Betty. I never knew if I was going to be in the "dog house" because I had not visited in a while, or if she was going to let me know I was forgiven. That was Betty. I always felt that she treated me like one of her own because she would act mad at me if I did not come as I should. Sadly, I did not always go as I should. Sometimes the business of life gets in the way of doing what we need to do. All that aside, today I know that Betty is truly happy. She and Teamus are probably sitting under a tree singing praise to the Lord. If there is an old RV in Heaven, they might be traveling down the streets of gold. Whatever they are doing, I know she is where she wants to be, at home with her Lord and with the love of her life. Rest in Peace Betty, we will miss you and we long for the day when we will see you again.

1 comment:

Alissa and Brody Silly Nanna said...

I am so happy you found the fifty dollar bill before you sold the salt and pepper shackers at the yard sale. We will all miss that Grandmother as I alwasy called her. Yes I know they are both very happy now.