Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Please, Call me by name!


In February, when we attended the Freed Hardeman lectures, we attended church on Wednesday night at the Estes congregation. Tom Holland always speaks on Wednesday night, and it is always a treat. When they made their announcements, it was announced that one of the members had just been diagnosed with colon cancer. I could tell it was someone who was a faithful, active member, simply by the way the announcement was made. As we were exiting the building, there was a lady standing in the back. Everyone was crowded around her. She looked to be about 50 years old, and she was crying. I could tell by the conversation that I was hearing that she was the lady in the announcement. Everyone seemed so concerned. One man stated- “We are praying for you.” The lady kindly replied, “Thank you. Please, call me by name when you pray! I don’t need generic prayers right now.” In other words, she did not want to be clumped with all of the other sick- she wanted her name brought before the throne of God. She wanted God to know that people were praying specifically for her. I don’t know the lady, or her outcome, but I do know that she understood that prayer is powerful. Will you help me as we pray for this people- and call them by name?
Melody Ferguson
Chandler Ferguson
Denese Billitz
Phillip Hammock
Chad Vernon
Bayley Maddox
Teale Yielding and Baby
Betty Garrison
Wayne Courington
Virginia Barnes
Eva Gaither
Would you like to add others to this list?

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Susan- Thank you so much for all the encouraging words you've typed to Teale. I know it means so much to her. You are such a wonderful Christian example for all of us to follow.

I am saddened to see Phillip Hammock's name on the list. What has happened to him?

Granna said...

He has just been released from prison. He is struggling trying to overcome his alcohol addiction. He needs prayer- he seems to want to do right, but it is going to be a long haul.

Crystal said...

That's awful. I will definitely pray for him. Thanks for letting me know.

Katie said...

I like this post. Sometimes I get in a hurry and just lump them all together but everyone deserves to be prayed for by name!

Sydney & Bayley's Proud Mommy said...

Susan All I can say to this post is AMEN! I cannot tell you how comforting it has been to know that people are praying for Bayley "by name." Your list was a great reminder and Ive added them to my list.